The Bugaboo Donkey3 is the super luxury side-by-side convertible stroller parents all over the world are absolutely loving. It's beautiful, comes in a variety of on-trend colors, rides smoothly, maneuvers extremely, accommodates up to three children at once (two seats plus a stroller board), and comes standard with all the important accessories, including a bassinet. The only downside—which is the exact flip side of what makes this stroller so great for many—is that it is large, both folded and open. It is wider than your average convertible stroller, so definitely make sure it fits where you need it to fit before purchasing.
— BUY THE BUGABOO DONKEY3 + ACCESSORIES —
- Mono: Chassis, 1 seat/bassinet frame, 1 bassinet (frame + bassinet fabric), 1 toddler seat (frame + seat fabric), 1 side luggage basket, 1 rain cover.
- Duo: Chassis, 2 bassinet/seat frames, 1 bassinet (frame + 1x bassinet fabric), 2 toddler seats (frames + 2x seat fabric), 1 side luggage basket, 2 rain covers.
- Twin: Chassis, 2 bassinet/seat frames, 2 bassinets (frame + 2x bassinet fabric sets), 2 toddler seats (frames + 2x seat fabric sets), 1 side luggage basket, 2 rain covers.
— IMPORTANT STATS —
HOW BIG IS IT?
Bugaboo Donkey3 Dimensions
- Unfolded (Mono)- W23.6"
- Folded One-Piece (Mono) - L35.8" x W23.6" x H36.6"
- Unfolded (Duo/Twin) - W29"
- Folded One-Piece (Duo/Twin) - L35.8" x W29" x H36.6 inches"
- Folded Compact (Mono/Duo/Twin) - L35.8" x W23.6" x H9.4 inches"
- Seat: W11"
HOW HEAVY IS IT?
Bugaboo Donkey3 Weight
- Mono: 28lbs
- Duo/Twin: 33lbs
— WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS STROLLER —
+ SUITABLE FROM BIRTH
- Cozy, beautiful bassinet included with stroller
- Compatible with all my favorite carseats
+ SUPER LUXURY EVERYTHING
- Every last detail has been thought through with this stroller, and it shows!
- Very much the "it" stroller
+ CONVERTS TO A SIDE-BY-SIDE DOUBLE STROLLER
- Converts to a super functional double stroller with the addition of a tandem seat
- Offers a variety of side-by-side strolling options, which is super unique in the convertible stroller category!
- Add a third older child with the stroller board
+ HANDLES (MOST) TERRAIN EXPERTLY
- Excellent maneuverability
- Excellent suspension
- Lockable front wheels for trickier terrain (like sand)
- Not suitable for extensive off-roading
— WHAT I DON'T LOVE ABOUT THIS STROLLER —
- HUGEEEE FOLDED SIZE -
- The folded size is ginormous. You can technically take it apart for a "compact" fold, but it requires you to disassemble the stroller and who has time for that?! Definitely make sure this stroller fits in your trunk before committing!
— NARROW SEATS —
- The toddler seat is a mere 11" wide, which is about two inches narrower than most toddler seats in this category.
- HEAVY (BUT NOT BAD) -
- Weighing in at 28lbs as a single, the Bugaboo Donkey3 isn't light, but it's also not horrifically heavy.
- V EXPENSIVE-
- The price tag on this stroller is borderline absurd. While the Donkey3 has the super unique ability to convert from a single to a double side-by-side stroller, it costs nearly 50% more than the UPPAbaby Vista (which is already expensive).
- If price is no object, however, rest assured this is a luxury stroller for a luxury price!
Not sold on the Bugaboo Donkey3?
Here are some great alternatives...
— Silver Cross Wave —
Bugaboo Donkey3 ($1299+) vs. Silver Cross Wave ($1299)
Both strollers are super luxe and super expensive. The biggest difference is the front-to-back (Wave) vs. side-by-side (Donkey3) strolling. The Wave also has a slightly more compact fold.
— UPPAbaby Vista V2 —
Bugaboo Donkey3 ($1299) vs. UPPAbaby Vista V2 ($970)
The UPPAbaby Vista V2 is the go-to in the luxury convertible stroller category. The biggest differences are that the Vista V2 has a single row double stroller configuration rather than a side-by-side one and a significantly more compact fold. (I'd get the Vista V2 over the Donkey3 10x out of 10, personally.)
— Thule Sleek —
Bugaboo Donkey3 ($1299+) vs. Thule Sleek ($830)
The Thule Sleek is a sportier (but still very luxury) alternative to a stroller like the Bugaboo Donkey3. It does all the same things—converting into a double stroller, handling a variety of terrain with ease—but with a more athletic, more toned-down look than its upscale counterparts.
— Mockingbird —
Bugaboo Donkey3 ($1299+) vs. Mockingbird ($350)
The Mockingbird is in an entirely different league than the Bugaboo Donkey3. It is significantly less expensive and also quite a bit less luxurious in its details. However, similar to the Donkey3, it is a highly functional stroller that converts into a double (and triple!) stroller, with ease. And it looks pretty great while doing it!
Not sure a luxury convertible stroller is what you need?
There are plenty of other options...
Don't need a stroller for two?
You may need a single full-sized stroller instead.
Want something smaller?
You may need a standard stroller instead.
Want something truly compact?
You may need a travel stroller instead.
Want something sportier?
You may need an all-terrain stroller instead.
Considering something other than what I've recommended?
Here are some strollers you may find yourself considering (that I wouldn't personally choose...)
Although the Baby Jogger City Select Lux ($750) and Baby Jogger City Select ($530) are similar, I prefer the Silver Cross Wave or the UPPAbaby Vista V2 by a long shot. On the budget side, I like the Joovy Qool ($440) but the Mockingbird is a little better looking while being similarly priced. I also don't love the Nuna Demi Grow ($980), the Joolz Geo ($1050), or the Britax B-Ready ($540), because the second seat seat is positioned in such a way that it is all too easy to trip over. While all of these strollers have similar features, both the Wave and the Vista look and (most importantly) perform better than the alternatives currently available on the market today.
Prices in parentheses are for the single stroller models plus the bassinet accessory. Bassinets are sold separately and are included for comparison purposes, since both the Silver Cross Wave and UPPAbaby Vista come with bassinets included.
This article was last updated August 2020.