Grippy | Cloth-Like Feel | Mild Potential Skin Irritant
Similar to Pampers and Huggies, Target Up & Up Unscented Wipes are inexpensive and totally passable. Instead of containing an EWG 3 preservative, Up & Up wipes contain phenoxyethanol, which is EWG 4.
Things We Love
- Chemical and Fragrance-Free: Alcohol-free. Paraben-free. Fragrance-free.
- Environmentally Considerate: Up & Up wipes are made from sustainably harvested forests, which is something, but otherwise these wipes aren’t terribly green.
- Super Affordable: At two cents per wipe, this is a great option if you use wipes liberally or are on a tight budget.
Things We Don't Love
- Some Moderately Questionable Ingredients: Up & Up wipes contain four questionable ingredients, three of which are a 3 on the EWG Skin Deep database (tocopheryl acetate, polysorbate 20, and sodium benzoate), and one of which is a 4 (phenoxyethanol). While most of these are only 3s due to contamination concerns, phenoxyethanol is a moderate skin irritant and is not great for babies with sensitive skin.
Target Up & Up Wipes Alternatives
- If you love how soft and grippy Target Up & Up wipes are, but want something with no preservatives/skin irritants… try Honest Co. wipes.
- If you like these wipes for their price point but don't want any EWG 4 ingredients… try Pampers Sensitive or pay a bit more for Pampers Aqua Pure or 7th Generation Free & Clear wipes.
EWG Overall Score: 2
Individual ingredients rated above an EWG 1…
- Phenoxyethanol (preservative) – EWG 4
- Polysorbate 20 (surfacant) – EWG 3
- Tocopheryl acetate (skin conditioning agent) – EWG 3
- Sodium benzoate (preservative) – EWG 3
- Target Up & Up Unscented Wipes – $0.02/wipe
- No subscription available, but Target often offers discounts and coupons