A full-featured infant car seat that transitions into a toddler seat with the push of a button, the Chicco Fit 2 takes up a good amount of leg room and is pretty heavy, but those may be sacrifices you're willing to make for a car seat you can click into a stroller beyond baby's first birthday. If you're looking for an infant car seat that you can use for two(ish) years instead of one (and assuming you've already decided you prefer an infant car seat for stroller compatibility versus a longer lasting but less travel-friendly convertible car seat), the Fit 2 is a great option.
Things We Love
- Converts to Toddler Seat: The absolute coolest feature of this car seat is that it has two modes– one for infants and one for growing toddlers. Stage 1 on the Chicco Fit 2 can be used from birth to 12 months, and Stage 2 from 9 months to 24 months of age. Although you will eventually have to buy a sized-up car seat, the Chicco Fit 2 allows you to get a lot more mileage out of your infant car seat, which is generally lighter weight, attaches to strollers, and easier to travel with than a convertible car seat.
- Super Travel Friendly: Traveling with an infant car seat is (relatively) simple, since most infant car seats click right into compatible strollers for easy portability. Sadly, once your tiny one outgrows the infant carseat around 12 months, traveling beyond your own car (airport, taxi, etc.) with a convertible car seat and a stroller becomes significantly more challenging. The Fit 2 extends the amount of time you can use an easily transportable infant car seat and stroller travel system. (The only convertible car seat we know of that integrates with a stroller is the Cosco Scenera and the Mountain Buggy Nano using this hack.)
- Safe + Anti-Rebound Bar: In addition to meeting standard safety requirements for infant car seats, the Chicco Fit 2 features an anti-rebound bar on its base, which helps prevent rebound in a crash.
- Taxi and Rideshare-Friendly: Thanks to the European-style belt path, the Chicco Fit 2 installs beautifully, safely, and most importantly, quickly without a base. This is great news for city dwellers or frequent travelers who hail lots of taxis, Ubers, and Lyfts.
- No-Rethread Harness: The 7-position height adjustable headrest automatically positions the harness into the correct spot. No rethreading necessary!
- Pretty Good Stroller Compatibility: Strollers with adapters available for Chicco brand car seats include Baby Jogger, Bob, Britax, Bugaboo, Chicco, Contours, Joovy, Mamas & Papas, Mountain Buggy, Phil & Ted’s, Quinny, Stokke, and UPPAbaby.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Limited Decent Color/Pattern Options: The Chicco Fit 2 comes in nice colors, but each and every one has some sort of a pattern. Among the options, the Legato pattern is acceptable, but some, like the paisley Fleur pattern, are a little much.
- So/So Canopy: The Chicco Fit 2 canopy is functional, but nowhere near as great as the be-all and end-all of infant car seat canopies– the Nuna Pipa Dream Drape.
- Space Hog: At 27.25 inches deep with the base, the Chicco Fit 2 is a bit of a space hog. That said, it’s definitely no worse than convertible car seats!
- Heavy: Weighing in at 11lbs, this is one of the heavier infant car seats out there.
- Install the Chicco Fit 2 with the base (LATCH)
- Install the Chicco Fit 2 with the base (seat belt)
- Install the Chicco Fit 2 without the base
- Secure your child in the Chicco Fit 2 correctly
- Chicco Fit 2 – $280