A nice-looking car seat with all the important safety features, the Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 is a total front seat legroom hog in any vehicle smaller than a sizable SUV or van.
Things We Love
- Beautiful Design: This car seat looks great, and you can’t go wrong with any of the color options. We love Grey Gravel, Moon Birch, Devoted Black/White, and Devoted Black best.
- Safety Features Galore + Anti-Rebound Bar: In addition to exceeding standard safety requirements for infant car seats, the Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 features “Air Protect” side impact protection and an anti-rebound bar on its base, which helps prevent rebound in a crash.
- Easy to Clean: Maxi Cosi loves to talk about how easy this car seat is to clean, which is a definite plus. But while it’s true that the cover can technically be machine washed and dried, parents have reported fabric fading and even shrinkage from doing this, so beware and follow all instructions. Also, most car seats are pretty easy to clean, but other brands don’t play it up as much in their marketing because they have other things to talk about.
- Taxi and Rideshare-Friendly (American Belt Path): The Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 has an American-style belt path, meaning the seat belt only attaches at two points and does not wrap around the back of the car seat. Although the American-style belt path isn’t quite as secure as the European-style belt path, it does still allow for a safe, quick, easy baseless install using a car’s locking seat belt. This is great news for city dwellers or frequent travelers who hail lots of taxis, Ubers, and Lyfts. (Note: Some car seat safety techs recommend using a rolled up towel or pool noodle when installing the car seat using the seat belt, especially on slopey seats. Always check for no more than one inch of movement side-to-side and front-to-back when installing your car seat without a base.)
- Lightweight: Weighing in at 8.9lbs, this is one of the lighter car seats.
- Extensive Stroller Compatibility: Maxi Cosi car seats are compatible with all strollers that accept Maxi Cosi adapters. Some popular strollers with which the Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 is compatible include Austlen, Baby Jogger, Babyhome, Babyzen, Bugaboo, Bumbleride, Cybex, Contours, Jané, Joovy, iCandy, Mamas & Papas, Micralite, Mountain Buggy, Mutsy, Nuna, Peg Perego, Phil & Teds, Quinny, Stokke, UPPAbaby, Valco Baby.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Rethread Harness: The harness must be rethreaded as your baby grows. This is kind of a pain, but thankfully, not something you have to do very often.
- Saggy Canopy: The canopy on Maxi Cosi seats tends to sag and many people find that it doesn’t pull nearly as taught as it does in photos they’ve seen of the product on Maxi Cosi’s website. It is also not super large, like the Nuna Pipa Dream Drape.
- Total Space Hog: At 29.5 inches deep with the base, this car seat is a total space hog and is probably not the right car seat for families with anything smaller than a pretty sizable SUV.
- Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 – $250
- Can be found online for as low as $199.99.