The beneficiary of great European design, the Cybex Aton Q looks good while being functional, compact, and super safe. Among our favorite car seats, the Aton Q beats out the Nuna Pipa in one category and one category alone– it features a no re-thread harness (which while cool, is not enough for it to be our top pick considering this car seat's comparative heavy weight.)
Things We Love
- Great Colors, Somewhat Polarizing Design: The Cybex Aton Q is available in great neutrals as well as other pop colors, and you can’t go wrong with any of them. The design of the car seat itself is a bit futuristic for some tastes, with the canopy reminding some of a pill bug.
- Safety Features Galore + Load Leg: In addition to exceeding standard safety requirements for infant car seats, the Cybex Aton Q features linear side impact protection and a load leg on its base, which helps prevent rebound in a crash.
- Taxi and Rideshare-Friendly: Thanks to the European-style belt path, the Cybex Aton Q installs beautifully, safely, and most importantly, quickly without a base. This is great news for city dwellers or frequent travelers who hail lots of taxis, Ubers, and Lyfts.
- No-Rethread Harness: The 8-position height adjustable headrest automatically positions the harness into the correct spot. No rethreading necessary!
- Smaller Footprint: At only 25.6 inches deep, the Cybex Aton Q takes up less space in your backseat than most infant car seats, freeing up extra legroom for front seat passengers. (This is only 0.4 inches deeper than the Nuna Pipa.)
- Extensive Stroller Compatibility: The Cybex Aton Q is compatible with all strollers that accept Maxi Cosi adapters. Some popular strollers with which the Cybex Aton Q is compatible include Austlen, Baby Jogger, Babyhome, Babyzen, Bugaboo, Bumbleride, Cybex, Contours, Jané, Joovy, iCandy, Mamas & Papas, Micralite, Mountain Buggy, Mutsy, Nuna, Peg Perego, Phil & Teds, Quinny, Stokke, UPPAbaby, Valco Baby.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Suboptimal Canopy: The canopy on Cybex seats hides neatly when folded away, but fully extended, it’s not the best. It is somewhat short, especially compared to the Nuna Pipa’s Dream Drape, and doesn’t completely protect baby from sun or wind.
- Downright Heavy: Weighing in at 11.6lbs, this is one of the heavier infant car seats out there.
- Cybex Aton Q – $300
- Specific colors and older models can be found online or at places like Buy Buy Baby for $249.99.