Our top pick for best infant car seat, the Nuna Pipa is super safe, incredibly lightweight (only 7.9lbs!), and has an awesome full coverage canopy. And that's not all…
Things We Love
- Beautiful Design: This car seat is beautiful, and you can’t go wrong with any of the color options.
- Safety Features Galore + Load Leg: In addition to exceeding standard safety requirements for infant car seats, the Nuna Pipa features side impact protection and a load leg on its base, which helps prevent rebound in a crash.
- Taxi and Rideshare-Friendly: Thanks to the European-style belt path, the Nuna Pipa installs beautifully, safely, and most importantly, quickly without a base. This is great news for city dwellers or frequent travelers who hail lots of taxis, Ubers, and Lyfts.
- Incredible Canopy: The breathable “Dream Drape” extends over the top of the car seat and secures with magnets to protect baby from sun and wind. It’s the best canopy out there.
- Small Footprint: At only 25.2 inches deep, the Nuna Pipa takes up less space in your backseat than most infant car seats, freeing up extra legroom for front seat passengers.
- Lightweight: At 7.9lbs, this is the lightest full-featured car seat available. Nuna also makes an even lighter Nuna Pipa Lite, which is only 5.2lbs, but it is missing some critical features, like a European-style belt path for easy base-free install.
- Extensive Stroller Compatibility: The Nuna Pipa is compatible with all strollers that accept Maxi Cosi adapters. Some popular strollers with which the Nuna Pipa is compatible include Austlen, Baby Jogger, Babyhome, Babyzen, Bugaboo, Bumbleride, Contours, Cybex, Jané, Joovy, iCandy, Mamas & Papas, Micralite, Mountain Buggy, Mutsy, Nuna, Peg Perego, Phil & Teds, Quinny, Stokke, UPPAbaby, Valco Baby.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Sadly, Not a No-Rethread Harness: The only bummer about this car seat is that the harness must be rethreaded manually as your baby grows. This is kind of a pain, but thankfully, not something you have to do very often.
- Nuna Pipa – $300
- Older models in less desirable colors (usually the non gender-neutral ones, like blackberry), can be found on places like Albee Baby for as low as $229.99.