Beautiful and functional too, the newest UPPAbaby Cruz has a modern look and is available in on-trend colors with real leather accents. It rides smoothly, maneuvers well, is compatible with a ride-along board for older children, folds and unfolds simply, and comes standard with many important accessories. The only downside is that despite the Cruz's smaller wheels, it still has a large-ish footprint when folded, so make sure to measure your storage spaces (trunk/garage/etc.) before purchasing.
Note: In general, we don't love standard strollers because they are expensive for what they are. If you want to go big, go with a full-sized stroller. If you want to go small, go with a travel stroller. For a about a hundred dollars more, you can get the UPPAbaby Vista or the Baby Jogger City Select Lux, which both convert to a double stroller should your family grow in the future. For a hundred dollars less, you can get the Joovy Qool or the Britax B-Ready, both of which are also convertible and very nice-looking for the price.
Things We Love
- Great Modern Look: Featuring new textiles and leather accents on some strollers, the most recent UPPAbaby Cruz is gorgeous. Other than Orchid, which is an intense pink, you can’t go wrong with any of the color options. Note: Although only some colorways come with leather accents, you can buy the leather accents separately for any post-2015 Cruz stroller, priced at $44.99 for the handlebar cover and $29.99 for the bumper bar cover.
- Medium Weight: Weighing in at 21.5lbs, the Cruz is about 5-10 pounds lighter than full-sized strollers and about 5-7 pounds heavier than travel strollers.
- Great Bassinet: The Cruz is compatible with a cozy, comfy, and– most importantly– deep bassinet (sold separately for $189.99) for babies up to 20 pounds or 25 inches, which is even rated for nighttime sleep. UPPAbaby also sells bassinet stands for $149.99, should you want to use the Cruz bassinet as baby’s main sleep space for those first few months.
- Great Recline (for a Bucket Seat); Adjustable Footrest: The Cruz has an easily adjustable footrest and reclines super deep with the push of a button; however, due to the molded bucket seat, the Cruz will never recline completely flat. Newborns will need to use the bassinet (or car seat) and smaller infants will need the infant insert (sold separately) for a proper fit.
- Oversize Storage Basket: The Cruz’s storage basket is objectively huge, and big enough for just about all you could ever need while out and about with baby.
- Modular: The Cruz seat easily pops off and flips around to be parent-facing or forward-facing.
- Solid Suspension; Medium Wheels: The Cruz features foam-filled wheels and four-wheel suspension for a reasonably smooth ride even on more uneven surfaces. A true “middle-of-the-road” standard stroller, the Cruz is less cushy than the Vista or similar full-sized strollers, but a significantly smoother ride than a travel stroller.
- Important Accessories Included: Unlike other large strollers which include little beyond the stroller, the price of the UPPAbaby Cruz includes a toddler seat, toddler seat rain cover, toddler seat bug shield, and a bumper bar. Other accessories parents might want, like adapters for car seats other than the UPPAbaby Mesa, cup holders, parent organizers, stroller buntings, and more are sold separately.
- Compatible with the Best Car Seats: The Cruz is compatible with the UPPAbaby Mesa without adapters. Adapters for other car seats, including Maxi Cosi, Nuna, Cybex, and Peg Perego car seats are sold separately for $44.99.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Expensive: In general, we don't love standard strollers because they are expensive for what they are. If you want to go big, go with a full-sized stroller. If you want to go small, go with a travel stroller. For a about a hundred dollars more, you can get the UPPAbaby Vista or the Baby Jogger City Select Lux, which both convert to a double stroller should your family grow in the future. For a hundred dollars less, you can get the Joovy Qool or the Britax B-Ready, both of which are also convertible.
- Easy, Bulky Fold: The Cruz is simple to fold, but bulky. It has a similar folded size to many larger full-sized strollers. Definitely measure your trunk to make sure the stroller will fit before purchasing.
- Not Convertible to a Double Stroller: The Cruz is a single stroller and does not convert to a double stroller. It does, however, accommodate a Piggyback Board for older children.
- 2018 UPPAbaby Cruz – $549.99
- 2018 UPPAbaby Cruz + Bassinet – $740
- Discounts can be found online for 2016 models and it’s relatively easy to find used 2016 Cruzes in good condition.
Buy the Accessories
- UPPAbaby Cruz Bassinet – $189.99
- UPPAbaby Cruz Piggyback Ride-Along Board – $99.99
- UPPAbaby Cruz Infant SnugSeat – $39.99
- UPPAbaby Cruz Maxi Cosi/Nuna/Cybex Car Seat Adapters -$44.99
- UPPAbaby Cruz Peg-Perego Car Seat Adapters -$44.99
- UPPAbaby Cruz Leather Handlebar Add On Kit – $44.99
- UPPAbaby Vista Leather Bumper Bar Add On Kit – $29.99
- UPPAbaby Bassinet Stand – $149.99