An all in one diaper with adjustable absorbency, the bumGenius Freetime is a favorite for good reason. It fits babies from 8 to 35 pounds, requires no stuffing, is not too bulky, and contains blowouts like a champ. On the downside, because of the way this diaper handles absorbency adjustability, it can be confusing for caregivers not used to cloth diapering, and it is difficult to spray clean once your baby starts eating solid foods.
Things We Love
- Medium Bulk Factor: The bumGenius Freetime fits similarly to the bumGenius 5.0, which is to say it is neither tremendously bulky for a cloth diaper nor tremendously trim.
- One Size Diaper: This diaper fits babies 8-35+lbs, though it starts to fit babies well without looking overly bulky around 12+ pounds. Because the inner liner is adjustable, it doesn’t tend to get bunched up on smaller babies the same way the bumGenius Elemental liner does.
- Simple Laundry Process: Rinse off solids. Place entire diaper in diaper pail. Rinse cold. Wash hot. Hang dry for longevity or machine dry low for sanity. (This diaper dries faster than the bumGenius Elemental.) Put away.
- Medium/Very Absorbent: This diaper has three absorbent layers– one sewn into the liner and two overlapping, semi-attached stay dry inserts, making this diaper sufficiently absorbent for most day wear. For nighttime use or for heavy wetters, you can easily add an additional soaker pad, sold separately.
- Leak and Blowout Free: Thanks to the adjustable fit and high quality elastic, this diaper contains leaks and prevents blowouts very well. Though leaks are a possibility once the absorbent pads are soaked through, many parents who use these diapers report never experience a single blowout!
- No Stuffing: Since this diaper is all one piece, you do not have to remove or stuff the liners before and after washing. Yay!
- Nice Colors: We’re a huge fan of classic White. Since there are no blowouts with cloth diapers, you don’t have to worry about the outer portion of the diaper staining and white looks good under everything. Many of the other color options are also on trend and lovely.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Suboptimal Poop Spraying Situation: It can be difficult to spray off solids if they end up on both the top and bottom soaker pads, since the bottom layer will tend to fold down into the toilet as you spray. On the bright side, you don’t have to pull out liners before you spray the diaper down (like with a pocket diaper).
- Somewhat More Challenging for Caregivers: Since the interior liners need to be folded to the unique specifications of your child, this diaper is a bit more confusing for caregivers not used to cloth diapering. Additionally, because the liners must be folded onto your babe's bod for each wear, it is very difficult to do a “standing diaper change” or otherwise strap this diaper onto a squirmy toddler.
bumGenius Freetime Alternatives
- If you prefer a cloth diaper with additional adjustable absorbency (for heavy wetters)… try bumGenius 5.0, GroVia O.N.E., and GroVia Hybrid diapers.
- If you want a slimmer-fitting diaper… GroVia One Size All in One is the slimmest, with the bumGenius Elemental as a close second.
- If you prefer organic… GroVia O.N.E. and GroVia Hybrid diapers have organic cotton soaker pads. The bumGenius Elemental is similar to the Freetime, but has organic pads. (The pads are also attached at both ends, which has its pros and cons.)
- BumGenius Freetime – $19.95/diaper
- BumGenius Freetime in Bulk – $113.70 for six diapers ($18.95/diaper), $222.60 for 12 diapers ($18.55/diaper), $399.84 for 24 diapers ($16.66/diaper)