An easy-to-use, easy-to-launder all in one cloth diaper, the bumGenius Elemental is a one-piece organic diaper that works great for most babies from 8 to 35 pounds. Because it is a single piece, it is super simple for caregivers to use (it goes on similar to a disposable diaper), but also because it is a single piece, it has limited absorbency, is more difficult to spray clean once your baby starts eating solids, and takes longer to dry if you are forgoing the dryer.
Things We Love
- Slimmer Fit: The Elemental fits very slim and can be worn under skinnies. It is still bulkier than disposable diapers and you will still see the buttons under leggings and tights, but at least the booty footprint isn’t ginormous! The only slimmer cloth diaper we recommend is the GroVia All in One.
- One Size Diaper: This diaper fits babies 8-35+lbs, though it starts to fit babies well without looking overly bulky around 12+ pounds.
- Fits Older Babies Best: We like this diaper best once it’s in its largest size, and it seems to fit older infants and toddlers especially well. When it’s snapped down to a smaller rise, it fits smaller babies well too, but the liner tends to get bunched up against baby’s skin. We’ve also found that the snaps used to make the diaper smaller can tend to come unpopped as you fasten the diaper onto your baby, which can be annoying but is not a dealbreaker.
- Super Simple Laundry Process: Rinse off solids. Place entire diaper in diaper pail. Rinse cold. Wash hot. Hang dry for longevity or machine dry low for sanity. (May take a long time to hang dry.) Put away.
- No Stuffing: Since this diaper is all one piece, you do not have to remove or stuff the liners before and after washing. Yay!
- Leak and Blowout Free (Assuming You Don't Let it Get too Wet): Thanks to the adjustable fit and high quality elastic, this diaper contains leaks and prevents blowouts very well. Though leaks are a possibility once the absorbent pads are soaked through, many parents who use these diapers report never experience a single blowout!
- Organic: This diaper’s inner liner is 100% organic cotton.
- Super Easy for Caregivers: This diaper goes on in one piece and is super easy for caregivers, since it functions similarly to disposable diapers.
- Nice Colors: We’re a huge fan of classic White. Since there are no blowouts with cloth diapers, you don’t have to worry about the outer portion of the diaper staining and white looks good under everything. Many of the other color options are also on trend and lovely.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Somewhat Challenging to Clean: It can be difficult to spray off solids, especially loose ones, as they’ll tend to migrate into the diaper’s nooks and crannies– and there are quite a few nooks and crannies in this diaper. For pee, this diaper is absurdly easy to use and launder.
- No Absorbency Adjustability: This diaper is not as absorbent as pocket diapers, and does not have a simple way to add additional absorbency, although you could theoretically add bamboo or hemp liners if needed. It is sufficiently absorbent for day wear, but not for overnight use or for heavy wetters.
bumGenius Elemental Alternatives
- If you prefer a cloth diaper with more adjustable absorbency (for heavy wetters)… try bumGenius 5.0, GroVia O.N.E., and GroVia Hybrid diapers. BumGenius Freetimes also have slightly more adjustable absorbency, though we wouldn't recommend them for super heavy wetters.
- If you want a slimmer-fitting diaper… GroVia One Size All in One is the slimmest.
- bumGenius Elemental – $22.95/diaper
- bumGenius Elemental in Bulk – $122.94 for six diapers ($20.49/diaper), $240.84 for 12 diapers ($20.07/diaper), $447.84 for 24 diapers ($18.66/diaper)