The Joovy Groove Ultralight is a nice-enough-looking, lightweight second stroller (or even a totally fine solo stroller for those who prefer to babywear the first six months). It has very few bells or whistles– no bassinet, no car seat compatibility, no super compact fold– but it does have a deep recline and an adjustable footrest. It is also technically suitable from birth since it reclines nearly flat, but because it doesn’t have great suspension, it bumps and jostles a bit too much for a newborn without a bassinet or a car seat.
Things We Love
- Looks Nice in Black: While the Joovy Groove Ultralight is not a fancy-looking stroller by any means, it does look pretty nice in black. We kind of hate that they felt the need to write “Joovy” in big bold white across the footrest and the back storage pocket, but you could always color it in with a Sharpie (#DIY) or something and it’d be less obnoxious.
- Lightweight and Portable: At 15 pounds, the Groove Ultralight is one of the heavier travel strollers, but it is still almost half the weight of full-sized strollers like the UPPAbaby Vista.
- Near Flat Recline Technically Suitable for Infants: The Groove Ultralight reclines nearly flat, making it technically suitable for infants. (Personally we'd rather have our infants in a carrier/wrap/sling or a stroller with better suspension.)
- Adjustable Footrest: It has an adjustable footrest, though the footrest is pretty short.
- Decent Storage Space: For an umbrella stroller, the Groove Ultralight has a decent amount of under-stroller storage and even has a built in cup holder and extra carry pouch on the back of the stroller.
- Large-ish Small Wheels; Front Wheel Suspension: Featuring double 6-inch wheels and front wheel suspension, the Groove Ultralight rolls remarkably smoothly for such a tiny stroller.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- So/So Easy, Umbrella Fold: The Groove Ultralight folds in three simple-enough steps. A typical umbrella stroller, the folded package is long and somewhat bulky. This stroller does not fit into the overhead bin of airplanes.
- No Bassinet: This stroller is not compatible with a bassinet (though it does recline to a near-flat position making it technically suitable for infants).
- Not Compatible with Car Seats: The Groove Ultralight is not a travel system and is not compatible with infant car seats.
- Not Modular: The Groove Ultralight is forward-facing only and does not have a parent-facing option. This is standard for umbrella strollers.
- Not Convertible to a Double Stroller; No Board for Older Children: The Groove Ultralight does not convert to a double stroller and does not have a ride along board for older children.
- No Accessories Included: The Groove Ultralight does not come with accessories.
Joovy Groove Ultralight Alternatives
- If you want a travel stroller that folds more compactly (and fits into airplane overhead bins)… Babyzen YOYO+, GB Qbit Plus, GB Pockit Plus, or Zoe XLC BEST v2 are all awesome strollers, but also at least twice the price.
- If you want a less expensive umbrella stroller (that we still recommend)… the Summer Infant 3D Lite is a bit cheaper.
- Joovy Groove Ultralight – $199.99 (list), often available for as low as $110 on Amazon for older models