Very similar to Babo Botanicals Sensitive Baby diaper cream, Babo Botanicals Soothing Diaper Cream is safe, works well, but liquifies easily in heat. It has a few ingredients you might not feel certain about (though the EWG has no qualms) and a distinct, pleasant, calming scent, which comes entirely from natural ingredients.
Things We Love
- Works Like a Charm: This stuff works. Many prefer zinc oxide-based diaper creams for their water repellant capabilities. Apply at the first sign of a rash, and–assuming you’ve addressed the core issue (friction, chemical/food sensitivity, illness, and/or wetness)– baby’s bottom will be better in no time.
- Lightly Scented; Smells Nice: Babo’s Soothing Diaper Cream has a distinct, pleasant, calming scent. There are no added fragrances and the scent comes entirely from natural ingredients. It also smells vaguely like sunscreen due to the zinc oxide.
- Technically Cloth Diaper Safe: This diaper balm is technically “cloth diaper safe” because it doesn’t contain any petroleum-based ingredients. Zinc oxide does tend to stain cloth diapers a yellowish hue, though these stains can be removed with a little time in the sun. For this reason, we recommend using a diaper liner (we like these) to protect your cloth diapers, especially if you use diapers with synthetic microfiber pads.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Partially Organic; Two Possibly Questionable Ingredients: Babo Botanicals uses some organic ingredients, which is great. While all of their ingredients are technically safe, they do use hydrogenated vegetable oil and hydrogenated castor oil. Hydrogenated oils (trans fats) are not safe to eat, but they are considered to be safe in skincare for topical use (even by the Environmental Working Group). If you’re uncertain whether or not you’re okay with this ingredient, try a different product.
- Tends to Become Liquid When Warm: When exposed to warm temperatures (think Texas heat), Babo diaper cream tends to become very liquidly, messy, and difficult to use.
Ingredients & EWG Rating
- Babo Botanicals Soothing Diaper Cream Ingredients: Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Zinc Oxide, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Cera Flava (Natural Beeswax), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Oil, Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract* & Nutrisoothe Herbal Infusion [Olea Europaea ((Extra Virgin) Olive) Fruit Oil*, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Matricaria Recutita (Chamomile (German)) Flower Extract*, Nasturtium Officinale (Watercress) Extract, Pueraria Lobata (Kudzu) Root Extract*], Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax, Hydrogenated Castor Oil (Castor Wax), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Styrax Tonkinensis (Benzoin Siam) Resin Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract (*certified organic ingredient)
- Babo Botanicals Soothing Diaper Cream EWG Overall Rating: 1
- Babo Botanicals Soothing Diaper Cream – $11.95 for 3 ounces ($3.98/oz)