Baby Botanicals Sensitive Baby Zinc Diaper Cream works, even if it does smell a bit like old sunscreen thanks to the zinc oxide. Another downside? This product tends to become liquified when warm (think Texas heat), which makes it difficult and messy to use. Regardless, it's a great, safe diaper balm that is relatively inexpensive.
Things We Love
- Works Like a Charm: This stuff works. Many prefer zinc oxide-based diaper creams for their water repellant capabilities. Apply at the first sign of a rash, and–assuming you’ve addressed the core issue (friction, chemical/food sensitivity, illness, and/or wetness)– baby’s bottom will be better in no time.
- Fragrance Free, Smells Like Sunscreen Anyway: Although this cream is technically fragrance free, since it is zinc oxide-based, it will still smell a bit like natural sunscreen. If that’s not a scent you can tolerate, zinc oxide-based creams are probably not for you.
- Technically Cloth Diaper Safe: This diaper balm is technically “cloth diaper safe” because it doesn’t contain any petroleum-based ingredients. Zinc oxide does tend to stain cloth diapers a yellowish hue, though these stains can be removed with a little time in the sun. For this reason, we recommend using a diaper liner (we like these) to protect your cloth diapers, especially if you use diapers with synthetic microfiber pads.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Partially Organic; One Possibly Questionable Ingredient: Babo Botanicals uses some organic ingredients, which is great. While all of their ingredients are technically safe, they do use hydrogenated vegetable oil. Hydrogenated oils (trans fats) are not safe to eat, but they are considered to be safe in skincare for topical use (even by the Environmental Working Group). If you’re uncertain whether or not you’re okay with this ingredient, try a different product.
- Tends to Become Liquid When Warm: When exposed to warm temperatures (think Texas heat), Babo diaper cream tends to become very liquidly, messy, and difficult to use.
Ingredients & EWG Rating
- Babo Botanicals Sensitive Baby Zinc Diaper Cream – Fragrance Free Ingredients: Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Zinc Oxide, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Rosmarinus of Cinalis (Rosemary) Extract*, Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter* Nutri-Soothe Complex [Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract*, Vegetable Glycerin, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis) Flower Extract*, Watercress (Nasturtium Officinale) Leaf Extract*, Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract*, Kudzu (Pueraria Lobata) Root Extract*; Meadowsweet (Spiraea Ulmaria) Extract* (*certified organic ingredient)
- Babo Botanicals Sensitive Baby Zinc Diaper Cream – Fragrance Free EWG Overall Rating: 1
- Babo Botanicals Sensitive Baby Fragrance Free Diaper Cream – $11.95 for 3 ounces ($3.98/oz)