Organic and GREENGUARD Gold certified, this 252-coil beast is the best super firm innerspring crib mattress out there. We love that it is two stage, with a very firm infant side and a softer toddler side, that it's waterproof, and that it is super durable. We hate that it's so heavy, weighing more than 20 pounds.
Things We Love
- Organic: Composed of steel innerspring coils for firmness, organic cotton and organic kapok filling for a cozy feel, and all wrapped up in organic cotton waterproof fabric, this mattress is the real organic deal. It is even certified organic to the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified: Meeting the highest third-party requirements for very, very low chemical emissions, this mattress emits little to no nasty off-gassing and is among the best when it comes to extremely low toxicity.
- No Chemical Fire Retardants: Because this mattress is made with organic cotton, it is naturally fire retardant and therefore doesn't necessitate a hose down in toxic fire retardant chemicals.
- 2-Stage: A super firm side for young babies and a softer but still firm side for toddlers makes this mattress comfortable for longer, which is a major plus if you’re planning to convert your crib into a toddler bed.
- Very Firm: Naturepedic created this mattress on the request of customers who wanted a mattress that was firmer than their 150 innerspring series. (The Lightweight series is as firm as the 150 innerspring series.) For those who prefer a very firm sleep surface and want the same for their baby, this is a mattress worth considering. However, please note that the 150 innerspring and the Lightweight mattresses are both plenty firm for safe sleep.
- Waterproof: The mattress is wrapped in a waterproof organic cotton cover to keep it safe from accidents.
- Medium Breathable: Any mattress with a waterproof cover will be less breathable than those without a waterproof cover. If you live somewhere super hot and humid, it may be worth buying an Ultra Breathable Crib Mattress Pad ($129) to go over the top of your waterproof mattress. Otherwise, this one is plenty good enough.
- Durable: Owners have reported reusing this mattress for second kiddos without seeing much wear at all.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Downright Heavy: Thanks to the 252 innerspring steel coils, this mattress is downright heavy at 20+ pounds. These coils do have benefits though! They make the mattress firm and very durable.
- Expensive: This mattress is $90 more than the Naturepedic Lightweight Organic Cotton Classic 2-Stage Crib Mattress, which we like better. The only reason you'd choose this mattress over the “Lightweight” is because you really want a really firm crib mattress.
Naturepedic Organic Cotton Ultra Seamless 252 2-Stage Crib Mattress Alternatives
- If you want a lighter mattress that still meets all the important organic/GREENGUARD/non-toxic qualifications… try the Naturepedic Lightweight Organic Cotton Classic 2-Stage Crib Mattress.
- If you are borderline paranoid about SIDS or live somewhere scorching hot and want a super breathable mattress… the Newton Wovenaire is great.
- If you want to spend less money and don't mind making a few compromises (but still want something Greenguard certified)… check out the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer.
- If you want nothing but la crème de la crème for your baby and are willing to pay for it… the Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted 252 Deluxe ($399),Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted 2-in-1 252 Crib Mattress ($399), Naturepedic Ultra Breathable 2-Stage Organic Crib Mattress ($399), and Nook Pebble Pure ($395) are all options. For mini reviews of these mattresses, see our section about “la crème de la crème” on the main crib mattresses article.