About $100 cheaper than the other mattresses we recommend, the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer is neither organic nor particularly breathable. However, it is GREENGUARD certified, is super lightweight (only eight pounds!), has a firm infant side and a softer toddler side, and is quite durable.
Things We Love
- Super Lightweight: Weighing in at 8 pounds, the Little Dreamer is super lightweight while still being appropriately firm.
- GreenGuard Certified: Meeting the highest third-party requirements for very, very low chemical emissions, this mattress emits little to no nasty off-gassing and is among the best when it comes to extremely low toxicity.
- No Chemical Fire Retardants: This mattress is wrapped in a woven fire barrier and has no spray-on chemical fire retardants.
- 2-Stage: A firm side for young babies and a softer side for toddlers makes this mattress comfortable for longer, which is a major plus if you’re planning to convert your crib into a toddler bed.
- Durable: Owners have reported reusing this mattress for second kiddos without seeing much wear at all.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Not Organic: The Little Dreamer is made of foam and is not organic.
- Water Resistant but Not Waterproof: The Little Dreamer is wrapped in a water and stain-resistant cover, but it’d be a good idea to get a waterproof mattress pad or two to help with midnight messes.
- Medium Breathable: Any mattress with a waterproof cover will be less breathable than those without a waterproof cover. If you live somewhere super hot and humid, it may be worth buying an Ultra Breathable Crib Mattress Pad ($129) to go over the top of your waterproof mattress. Otherwise, this one is plenty good enough.
- Nothing Eco-Friendly About It: This mattress’s foam has been infused with “plant oils,” but that's mostly just marketing jargon. While this is not an eco-friendly mattress, it is a safe sleep space free from toxic chemicals at a great price point, and that’s why we like it.
Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Crib Mattress Alternatives
- If you want a lightweight mattress that meets all the important organic/Greenguard/non-toxic qualifications… try the Naturepedic Lightweight Organic Cotton Classic 2-Stage Crib Mattress.
- If you want a super firm mattress that's otherwise just as awesome as this Cotton Classic… try the Naturepedic Organic Cotton Ultra Seamless 252 2-Stage Crib Mattress.
- If you are borderline paranoid about SIDS or live somewhere scorching hot and want a super breathable mattress… the Newton Wovenaire is great.
- If you want nothing but la crème de la crème for your baby and are willing to pay for it… the Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted 252 Deluxe ($399),Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted 2-in-1 252 Crib Mattress ($399), Naturepedic Ultra Breathable 2-Stage Organic Crib Mattress ($399), and Nook Pebble Pure ($395) are all options. For mini reviews of these mattresses, see our section about “la crème de la crème” on the main crib mattresses article.