This is the best crib mattress on the market today. Organic, lightweight, GREENGUARD certified, two-stage (with a firmer infant side and a softer toddler side), and durable to boot, the Naturepedic Lightweight Organic Cotton Classic 2-Stage Crib Mattress is an all-around great buy.
Things We Love
- Lightweight: Weighing in at 10 pounds, this mattress is as firm as a 150-coil innerspring mattress, but is about half as heavy. This makes changing the sheets way easier.
- Organic: Composed of food-grade polyethylene for firmness, organic cotton filling for a cozy feel, and all wrapped up in organic cotton waterproof fabric, this mattress is the real organic deal. It is even certified organic to the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified: Meeting the highest third-party requirements for very, very low chemical emissions, this mattress emits little to no nasty off-gassing and is among the best when it comes to extremely low toxicity.
- No Chemical Fire Retardants: Because this mattress is made with organic cotton, it is naturally fire retardant and therefore doesn't necessitate a hose down in toxic fire retardant chemicals.
- 2-Stage: A firm side for young babies and a softer side for toddlers makes this mattress comfortable for longer, which is a major plus if you’re planning to convert your crib into a toddler bed.
- Waterproof: The mattress is wrapped in a waterproof organic cotton cover to keep it safe from accidents.
- Medium Breathable: Any mattress with a waterproof cover will be less breathable than those without a waterproof cover. If you live somewhere super hot and humid, it may be worth buying an Ultra Breathable Crib Mattress Pad ($129) to go over the top of your waterproof mattress. Otherwise, this one is plenty good enough.
- Durable: Owners have reported reusing this mattress for second kiddos without seeing much wear at all.
Things We Don't Love As Much
- Nothing Really: You could buy a cheaper mattress, but this is the best one and it's well priced for what it is.
Naturepedic Lightweight Organic Cotton Classic 2-Stage Crib Mattress Alternatives
- If you want a super firm mattress that's otherwise just as awesome as this Cotton Classic… try the Naturepedic Organic Cotton Ultra Seamless 252 2-Stage Crib Mattress.
- If you are borderline paranoid about SIDS or live somewhere scorching hot and want a super breathable mattress… the Newton Wovenaire is great.
- If you want to spend less money and don't mind making a few compromises (but still want something GREENGUARD certified)… check out the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer.
- If you want nothing but la crème de la crème for your baby and are willing to pay for it… the Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted 252 Deluxe ($399),Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted 2-in-1 252 Crib Mattress ($399), Naturepedic Ultra Breathable 2-Stage Organic Crib Mattress ($399), and Nook Pebble Pure ($395) are all options. For mini reviews of these mattresses, see our section about “la crème de la crème” on the main crib mattresses article.