We are a choosy bunch. These are our general criteria for what makes the cut among Also Mom's top picks.
The product must be…
- Essential – It must make your life as a parent significantly easier. We don't believe in quickly outgrown and discarded gizmos and gadgets.
- Functional – It must do the job it's intended to do and it must do that job extremely well.
- Beautiful – It must look good and fit in with your personal style.
- Durable – It must last, certainly for as long as your child needs it and ideally for multiple babies.
- Reasonably Priced – It must be reasonably priced for what it is. We are not into super luxury for super luxury's sake, nor do we seek out the cheapest budget picks at the sacrifice of quality. Whenever possible, we include a variety of products at a variety of price points, and we're always transparent about what you'll sacrifice or gain by choosing a less or more expensive option.
We also prioritize products that are…
- Non-Toxic – Especially when it comes to consumable goods or anything that will come in contact with your baby's skin– like diapers, baby shampoo, and more. In those cases, the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep database is our guide. We don't recommend anything rated higher than a three on that database, and seriously ding products that contain harmful ingredients regardless of their popularity in the mainstream mom-o-sphere.
- Environmentally Considerate – We like to keep the environment in mind when we can, and we give an extra shout out to products and brands that are doing their part to make the earth cleaner and safer.
- From Do-Good Brands – We love a good brand story. Anything that's sourced and made ethically, produced in the USA, and/or from brands who are giving back to worthy causes will win bonus warm fuzzies.